Old Tue, Feb-20-24, 05:46

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

The new Vegetable scoring introduction. [Fruit is in my journal today]
Dr. Eenfeldt writes on Twitter:

Quote:
Are vegetables effective for weight loss and metabolic health? Most people would say YES... except some hard-core carnivores and keto people, who would say you should limit them as much as possible.

Who is correct? Let's see the result of our ~JoinHava satiety scoring, where we combine protein percent, energy density, fiber, and hedonic factors into one scale, 0-100.

The result is clear. Almost all vegetables get balanced (around 50) or high (60+) scores. A few, like lettuce and asparagus, get all the way up to 100. More starchy root vegetables like potatoes and corn get scores in the low to mid-40s. Note that this still makes it possible to combine them with other highly nutritious foods for a balanced or high overall score.

However, add a lot of butter and sour cream to a baked potato, and the overall score can plummet into the 20s. And let's not even talk about what happens if you deep fry it to French fries (OK let's do it, the score drops to 13).

Perhaps the most surprising scores are olives (27) and avocado (34). A bit lowish, so perhaps some caution is recommended if you want to lean out. Why are they so low? They are extremely low in protein percentage. In other words olives and avocados mostly supply energy (from fat). That's great if you need the energy, but less great if you have too much already.

The main story though, is that pretty much all vegetables are great from a satiety perspective. I'd suggest eating them as much as you like. What's your favorite vegetable?
Check the satiety of any food – and learn how it's calculated: hava.co/science

My favorites that were limited on "keto" are Tubers. Crunchy carrots [59] and the occasional baked potato [43] with a steak. If you replace baked pepperoni,nuts and cheese crisps with carrots, red pepper strips, cucumber, etc, you eliminate hundreds of calories of fat, and gain nutrient dense tasty crunch.