View Single Post
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-01-24, 06:29

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
But HOW I ate... that was a big mirror in harsh light and I understood. It wasn't that they were anything but polite. But I could tell I was disconcerting.

Fortunately, it wasn't my family. But what if it was? Would they let me eat my hot dogs and have a good time? Are we resented for disturbing the surface of how everyone eats? We are changing the streambed of important and celebratory events, even though they don't have to change a thing. But they have feelings we are disturbing.

When I sit down on Thanksgiving with turkey and cheese salad on my plate, it probably looks like a rebuke to anyone still in denial. Not even trying, and I'm the "ghost at the feast."

Because we're a threat to their way of life. We're so used to hiding people's addictions, which is why an honest and controlled environment is a great way to begin recovery.

I don't know that it's some kind of threat to their way of eating that I don't eat the starches and sugars. But my situation is a bit different from yours.

Keep in mind that I bring my own food to family gatherings such as thanksgiving or Christmas: xanthan thickened gravy, mashed cauliflower, oopsie dressing, pumpkin bake. So if they're not observing my plate too closely, it looks like I'm eating the same thing as everyone else. I'm also not anywhere near a normal weight - so when I don't load my plate with seconds and thirds of potatoes and stuffing, it matters not that I'm plenty full on the smallish servings I had - there's a vibe that I shouldn't be eating seconds and thirds like everyone else anyway.

I do get the distinct message that DH thinks that a pizza restaurant takes it as an insult to their pizza crust when I only eat the toppings off of it, because he will always apologize to the server for all the empty pizza crusts, saying that it's excellent pizza crust, but I just can't eat them. These days they probably assume I have some level of gluten intolerance.

It's not really any of their business why I don't eat the crusts - if they offered a bowl or plate of pizza toppings without the crust, I would order that instead. Most restaurants HATE dealing with special orders though, it slows down the kitchen production to need to make something different.