Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Sep-09-05, 21:27
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/238/150 Female 60 inches
BF:Too much
Progress: 23%

I know exactly what it's like to be pregnant.. as I already have a 4 1/2 year old, and currently moving onto the second.

What I meant by the comment was that pregnancy is a time to be encouraging and uplifting. Perhaps you should rename the thread then.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Sep-09-05, 21:48
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

5Kiddos wow! I can understand why you'd be scared of gaining again - I'm on my FIRST and I was scared. In the "Are you pregnant and needing help with your goals" thread Tigersue has a LOT of great info on not gaining too much weight, and if your body can "afford" it, even safely maintaining or losing a little. She's very knowledgable..and has personally experienced both losing and maintaining while preg.

I haven't!! Just gaining, a lot when I should have known better.

It seems like the common thread for NOT gaining too much is to find a carb level that works for you, women in here seem to find 40-100 carbs comfortable, and then not go crazy with the amounts of food. It's hard to really accept only 300 extra cals for a baby, also it can be difficult to maintain a regimented eating pattern when you're preg and emotions are flyuing and the physical stuff is overwhelming - as you know 4 times better than I do, lol. I guess consistency would be the key and sticking to what you KNOW is healthy rather than reverting to the standard american diet. If you have some extra chubb you can lose a little throughout without harming your baby, if you don't.. you can keep your gain minimal and healthy.

Best of luck!! Let us know if you decide to go for it
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Sep-09-05, 21:52
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locoshimzy
I know exactly what it's like to be pregnant.. as I already have a 4 1/2 year old, and currently moving onto the second.

What I meant by the comment was that pregnancy is a time to be encouraging and uplifting. Perhaps you should rename the thread then.

You must feel you're doing your part to be uplifting and supportive... I don't really have a problem with the name of the thread though, and I also don't have the power to change the name. However, if it's a real problem for you perhaps you could ask a moderator?
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Sep-10-05, 07:50

Plan: Primal/Paleo
Stats: 255/241/145 Female 5 feet 9 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

Locoshimzy....you haven't posted any of your own goals which is the point of this thread, or offered anything encouraging or uplifting in my opinion. You've just made two very short, sarcastic and snide remarks. Maybe that's not what you meant to do, but it sure is coming off that way. I think the name of the thread is appropriate. We are sharing our goals here, and with goals come obstacles. Sometimes we need to talk/confess/etc about the obstacles we are trying to overcome. And that is where the support part comes in...where we say, "Gosh, I know what you're going through", etc. Talking about how we may not be doing the best at times is just being honest both with ourselves and the support group we have created.

And as for me and my goals. I'm getting close to having this baby and I think the tiredness has led me to eating less than ideal foods because they are fast, etc. But I've been doing alright, I don't do it all that often. Mostly my carbs come from very healthy sources: fruit and veggies, and small amounts of whole grains here and there. I keep thinking I should exercise but after nesting/organizing the house all day its hard to do it physically. I feel like the baby has dropped and it kind of makes a lot of movements challenging. I have been doing some yoga moves here and there through the day, which helps when i have back ache, sciatica etc.

It seems I have gained the same amount of weight I did with DS ... I gained 37lbs with him. He was a healthy 7lb 6oz boy. I have gained 36 lbs with this one. I started out the pregnancy this time at 214, and I'm up to 251. That's so hard to write down! It seems in these last weeks I have been fluctuating between 248-251 pounds. I know I will lose this weight quickly though. I think the biggest help is going to be getting exercise in again, but I mean intense work outs. I know the prenatal yoga is helping me prepare for the birth though. Also, losing this weight once the baby is born is going to be much easier with the support of all the mamas here.

My goals for these last few days or week or two (just counting down now!):
1. Continue to eat fresh fruits and veggies for bulk of carbs
2. Reduce carb intake slightly....I've been closer to 125 grams of carbs a day instead of 75-100.
3. Be more consistant on the prenatal yoga, and actually do a whole sequence before bed, even if just 15 minutes. Usually when I get started though I end up doing the whole 50 minute routine.
4. Drink more water!
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Sep-10-05, 16:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/238/150 Female 60 inches
BF:Too much

Its difficult to express emotion on here, and to be honest I do have a dry sense of humour. Yes it was meant to be sarcastic and I apologize Meg S. if it was read that way. I suppose thats why I put those 2 little icon things there. Anywho...best wishes with your pregnancies
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Sep-12-05, 06:27
Registered Member

This post has nothing to do with my goals, juct checking in.
Andy came home yesterday <cheering> I realized after he was here that I missed him even more than I thought I did.

Today is Eat Yummy Food Together and enjoy each other's company day lol.. low carb has no place in it since some of the cheeses/breads we're having are to die for.

The good thing is that I'm 2kg (4.4 lbs) less this doctor's visit than I was last visit... 3 1/2. I certainly don't feel like I lost any fat though?? Heh and it DEFINITELY wasn't the baby getting any smaller. And I wasn't exactly eating to lose... there was a lot of comfort food in these 3 1/2 weeks alone. Who knows I calculated how much I might be after the baby is out, estimated a reasonable amount off loss per month after that and it made "things" on the fatness level seem not quite as bad as they feel. They're bad...just not as bad as they FEEL which anyone who has had pms knows what I'm talking about. The doctor estimated the baby at about 7 lbs.. which he said is of course nonsense since he can't really know.

Andy's back for lunch!!
gotta go
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Sep-12-05, 19:59

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 222/199/120 Female 62.5
BF:?/30/20

LOL Meg, it sounds like the baby could come soon, if you are dropping some weight that is a good sign of it. Did your uterine measurement go down? Sure hoping the best for you.
Tanya
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Sep-13-05, 02:11
Registered Member

I don't know about the measurements, I've only been measured once as far as I can remember and that was by my doc in the states.
I THINK I JUST LOST MY MUCOUS PLUG. omg I am so excited I feel like running around the house squealing because I want it to mean that it's happening starting NOW. I will play it cool though (hence the coming online and typing it out) and wait until things start really happening before I make any phone calls Maybe do some dancing and a little workout to help move things along.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Sep-13-05, 12:46

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 330/258.2/150 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 40%

Yay! Good luck!!! Can't wait to hear the announcement of your little ones arrival and your birth story. I'm crossing my fingers for you!!!!
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Sep-13-05, 12:58

BF:

Meg, that's so exciting. You are soooo close now. You're at 38 weeks, you really could go anytime now .

I've been getting measure each time. I used to measure in cm either pretty exactly the number of weeks, and then a cm or two ahead. But this past Thursday had me at 34 cm when I am 37 weeks. A clue to me that the baby is dropped, or in the process of it anyhow... which matches how my pelvis feels.

Well, as for goals ... whatever goals I make it seems my body's own agenda is to get as much rest as possible right now. And I dont' have the energy to argue with it! Lol. I have been "resting and nesting" a lot, back and forth. I have everything I need as far as birth supplies, stuff for the baby, stuff for me postpartum, etc. I have some labor food ready...homemade popsicles and frozen grapes, some soup. I have a lot of soup frozen for easy postpartum meals. I'm going to make a huge batch of low-carb chili and freeze some of that too: it's got beef cubes, salsa, tomatoes, chilis, celery and onion, chili powder and cumin I think. It' s my version of a Mercola recipe...he uses ground meat, I like it with the chunks better.
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Sep-13-05, 18:16

Yup Meg, It could be any day now. Generally anywhere from 1 to 7 days after loosing that plug. Just keep hanging in there and doing what you are doing. Nature has a great way of taking care of itself.
Gee April, I should get making stuff and putting it in the freezer for easy meals. I like cooking but I know the next few months I'm going to be major stressed with my oldest daughter in swim team, and trying to take care of two babies. I can hardly keep up with it now.
Tanya
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Sep-14-05, 01:49

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 330/258.2/150 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 40%

Anyone watching The Biggest Loser show? I loved last season and can't wait to have this baby so I can really start seeing some progress again on those scales.
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Sep-14-05, 13:17

No I haven't watched the biggest looser, I suppose I figured it would be promoting more of the same High carb, low fat diet that I know isn't good for me, and I try to workout the best I can. I learned a long time ago that I don't loose the way most people do out there, I go very slowwwwww.
Tanya
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Sep-21-05, 17:41

BF:

I never watched The Biggest Loser before but started watching it this time. It is inspiring. But I wanted to yell at the trainer when she chided the men for wanting to eat a nice big fatty juicy steak and how bad all that fat was. But getting to see the progression of people losing all that way is inspiring none the less....I just keep thinking....wow, think of how much more progress there would be if they were all low-carbing as well!

I haven't been weighing myself lately. Do I really need to? I swear my belly looks bigger every single day now! I have been much better overall though about my carb intake and I have noticed less water retention...didn't have too much of it anyhow but notice it does increase when carbs are too high.

Man, with these prelabor contractions I've been having, I keep thinking each day, "Okay, this might be it". And I just get on with my day because I don't want to obsess. But the food I keep getting or making for labor keeps having to be restocked because it's so good and handy....grapes, homemade cononut popsicles...yummy just coconut no sugar added, yogurt, etc. OH well.

I can't exercise for the life of me! It's hard enough to just get up and walk, this baby is so low in my pelvis. I do manage to swim once or twice a week...but strangely even that has become awkward!
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Sep-22-05, 10:41

I haven't been able to work out at all this pregnancy, every time I try I get so sick. Even walking has been hard with the heat. Yes I don't have much trouble with bloating either unless i have too many carbs. How do you make your coconut popsicles?
Tanya