Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Mon, Mar-16-09, 09:40

Plan: VLC
Stats: 265.4/238.8/199 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Thanks for starting this thread, Nancy. I'm about halfway through a two-week tryout of a paleo diet. I made an exception for the morning coffee and a small amount of cream. I hate the thought of giving that up.

Anyway I've lost 3 pounds in six days (after a 7+ month stall on Atkins), so I'm thinking paleo will be my new diet. If so, I'll have to dump the coffee and cream. It helps to know that someone else made the transition and that it wasn't that bad.

It may be a while before I work up the nerve, though.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Mon, Mar-16-09, 13:02
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
It may be a while before I work up the nerve, though.

See, this is the mind-game part. You think you have to work up nerve but in reality you have to work off your irrational fear of quitting. Because believe me, the fear you have now is worse than anything you'll experience when you quit. If your brain works like mine.

Just be sure to wean yourself off the caffeine gently so you don't have withdrawal symptoms.
  #63   ^
Old Mon, Mar-16-09, 14:41

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Just be sure to wean yourself off the caffeine gently so you don't have withdrawal symptoms.

I'm trying to go slow.

Actually my thought process right now is "You mean I gave up most of my favorite foods for Atkins, and now you're asking me to give up even more - including my coffee? grrrrr!!!!"
  #64   ^
Old Mon, Mar-16-09, 15:17
Experimenter

BF:

Well, I'm not saying you don't need to have a reason for it, I think you do. Also, I've been low carb for 5+ years and paleo-ish for 3+ (I think) so I'm not mourning over foods I gave up many years ago, that's long behind me.

But when you decide you have a reason to try to give it up, just be aware of the little games going on in your head that will keep you from doing it.

My reason was, "I've given up everything else and my gut is still bothering me. Maybe it's the coffee." And what do you know, it was!
  #65   ^
Old Mon, Mar-16-09, 16:05

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Costello, try thinking of it this way: "I'll just try it for a month." It's easier to accept if you know you have permission to go back after a trial. Once you're un-addicted, you might have a different perspective.
  #66   ^
Old Mon, Mar-16-09, 16:17
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike2work
Costello, try thinking of it this way: "I'll just try it for a month." It's easier to accept if you know you have permission to go back after a trial. Once you're un-addicted, you might have a different perspective.

Yeah, that was another thing I used on myself. Just give it up for a few weeks and see how you do. I can't go back because it was obviously doing really bad things to me.
  #67   ^
Old Mon, Mar-16-09, 17:29
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

Quote:
sage advice!!
  #68   ^
Old Mon, Mar-16-09, 20:51

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

It's interesting to hear y'alls psychology because I have the opposite problem. I have no problem with the idea of giving up anything, but find it harder to do in practice.
  #69   ^
Old Tue, Mar-17-09, 04:04
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

oh, i found it very simple to walk away from coffee but my head and my caffeine withdraw did not. i had to be careful because i did it once before and couldn't stand up for a couple of days..

just so you don't get sick, you withdraw slowly.
just like coming off anti depressants.. you do it slowly.
  #70   ^
Old Tue, Mar-17-09, 07:05

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike2work

That's a good idea. A month is too long for me, though. It'd have to be a two week trial.

This morning with the beautiful spring weather it occurred to me that summer would be a good time for a trial. Hot weather and all - good time to give up hot drinks.

I've been drinking coffee since I was 12. Now I'm 47. Over the years I've given up coffee for extended periods of time, but I always come back. Kicking the caffeine is easy. It's the habit of preparing the coffee first thing every morning, the smell of it brewing, etc. Probably more of a psychological addiction. Maybe I should just brew a pot and throw it away?
  #71   ^
Old Tue, Mar-17-09, 07:35

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
A month is too long for me, though. It'd have to be a two week trial.

2 weeks should be plenty for dairy. I promised myself I'd give up cheese for 2 weeks and never have touched the stuff again. It took me longer to get to giving up all dairy but again, I never touch anything but butter any more, and thats only small amounts.

I think I'm really glad I never got in the coffee habit.
  #72   ^
Old Tue, Mar-17-09, 07:45

Plan: quasi paleo + starch
Stats: 153/148/118 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 14%

My withdrawal symptoms weren't close to being over at 2 weeks, even after a full month, I occasionally would get those, "Must.Fall.Asleep.NOW" orders.

It takes two months for the body to fully eliminate all caffeine from the body, and I've read online that some docs tell their patients that it takes half a year for the body to fully readjust to being caffeine free.
  #73   ^
Old Tue, Mar-17-09, 09:14
Experimenter

BF:

I had maybe 2 days of being a little sleepier than normal, but I'd been cutting back on caffeine for a long time. Actually, can't say as I'm off caffeine. When I get super-tired I either take a nap or have some diet coke. But I gotta think that's a lot less caffeine than downing 2 pots of 1/2 and 1/2 coffee everyday.

In the morning now I'm actually not as sleepy as I used to be when I was drinking coffee. Just a bit muddleheaded for a few minutes and it goes away quickly with that first cup of tea.

I also don't recall having any withdrawal symptoms when I quit eating gluten or dairy, but I know some people seem to have really bad issues.

Now when I quit nicotine that was an entirely different story! That was HARD!

Quote:
It's the habit of preparing the coffee first thing every morning, the smell of it brewing, etc. Probably more of a psychological addiction. Maybe I should just brew a pot and throw it away?

I have one with a thermal carafe. I put the brewing part in a cupboard and maybe I'll use it for company or brewing tea sometimes. But right now I'm just using the thermal pot for brewing my tea and it is nice to have some counterspace back! It was good to get the coffee grinder put away too. I don't have all those little coffee crumbs falling all over my counter now.
  #74   ^
Old Tue, Mar-17-09, 09:54

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Quote:
I also don't recall having any withdrawal symptoms when I quit eating gluten or dairy, but I know some people seem to have really bad issues.

Can you elaborate on that? When I gave up the last bit of dairy I had some excruciating headaches. Could that have been withdrawl?
  #75   ^
Old Tue, Mar-17-09, 10:02

Plan: quasi paleo + starch
Stats: 153/148/118 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Quote:
I had maybe 2 days of being a little sleepier than normal, but I'd been cutting back on caffeine for a long time. Actually, can't say as I'm off caffeine. When I get super-tired I either take a nap or have some diet coke. But I gotta think that's a lot less caffeine than downing 2 pots of 1/2 and 1/2 coffee everyday.

Nope, I quit ALL caffeine last year, and earlier this year I went LC, so although I had some fruit juice and some milk after quitting caffeine, ever since I went LC, I only drink water.

My withdrawals from ALL caffeine was simply so extreme that I have no interest in coffee or tea, and won't even use the alleged "de-caf" version.

And mind you, I had cut WAY back, down to less than four cups of coffee a day, and often only two.

There's also caffeine in lots of the OTC pain relievers.